[OSM-legal-talk] New licence? Trademarks?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sat Jan 3 14:54:33 GMT 2009

Ok, so here we are in 2009. No new licence (it was promised by Xmas
08), no word update on the current status of the licence on this list
during December, no updates to the ODL pages on the wiki and no
minutes from the December Foundation directors meeting available on-
line yet.

I have:

1) added a note to the header of the Legal-Timeline page (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Timeline
) indicating that the page has not been updated since it was created
on 08Sept08 (it says the licence will be available by Xmas 08 and
talks about other tasks that should have been completed in October).

2) I have moved the 'Brief for proposed OSM licence' to 'Open Data
Licence/Use Cases' (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_Licence/Use_Cases
) so it appears in the category list alongside other ODL page.

I also note that the 'Open Data Licence' page (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License
) points to a stale page at www.opencontentlawyer.com which now points
to www.opendatacommons.org although that site points back to the
opencontentlawyer site for the draft of their licence. If anyone knows
what is happening here and what should be on our Open Data Licence
wiki page then please update it and post about it here. I have not
made any changes to the wiki page.

We are of course also awaiting confirmation that all trademark
applications have successfully been transfered into the foundation's
name (they were initial made in SteveC's own name). I hope that this
transfer will have been confirmed when the minutes of the 23rd
December 2008 Foundation directors meeting are published.

I suggest we need to have a re-think about how to get the licence
completed but that is a subject for another post - lets first wait
until we can read the December foundation directors meeting notes.

Regards,

Peter