[OSM-legal-talk] GPS traces and copying of facts

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Thu Jan 8 19:17:08 GMT 2009

El Jueves, 8 de Enero de 2009, Nic Roets escribió:
> It has been said on this list that facts cannot be copyrighted. And
> IMHO gps traces are facts. Does this mean we can use data from any of
> the sites mention below ?

No. Facts are free, but *collections* of facts are not.

> Or are gps traces subject to the same type of copyright as photos ?

Here in the EU they're covered under database law. You can expect some sort
of "protection" nearly everywhere.

Cheers,
--

Proudly running Debian Linux with 2.6.26-1-amd64 kernel, KDE 3.5.10, and PHP
5.2.6-0.1+b1 generating this signature.
Uptime: 20:15:26 up 7 days,  2:57,  3 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.40, 0.32