[OSM-legal-talk] 'Fair Use'

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jan 14 06:58:15 GMT 2009

Hi,

Peter Miller wrote:
>> Everything produced in a country that's a signatory to the Berne
>> convention (and that's most countries) is *automatically* copyrighted,
>> so UNOCHA don't need to claim copyright.
>
> I am surprised at that. I thought the (c) line on a document was
> important.

AFAIK it is. At least in Germany, the situation is this: Anything you
produce in Germany automatically has copyright *in Germany*. Many other
countries don't have this automatism and in some you actually have to
register your work with some authority to gain protection. However, the
Berne convention says that adding the (c) plus author plus year will
count as having gone through the relevant national procedures in every
Berne country.