[OSM-legal-talk] Trademark applications

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Mon Jan 19 21:06:32 GMT 2009

Dear all

Speaking from a personal point of view as the guy who founded the
project, registered the domains and trademarks and all that...

I can make absolutely clear I handed off all ownership of the domains
and trademarks to the foundation. I would invite others to do the same
for the local openstreetmap domains. Because of the xmas break and so
on the treasurer and secretary may not have had the time to fill in
all the paperwork just yet, but I've instructed, last month in fact,
the registration firm I used to deal now only with them.

Peter of course knows all of this because he's been repeatedly
bombarding board and team members with threatening emails. It's
unfortunate that his core, often valid, concerns and objections are so
often overtaken by personal attacks and bridge burning exercises.

Peter, in trying to apply all these different pressure points on board
and team members I can assure you that you are achieving the opposite
of your aims. I would invite you, again, to address issues to the
secretary of the OSMF and also have patience that we are volunteers.

I believe we could build a more positive relationship if you did this.
Much as Grant was also very worried about the trade marks, it is
sometimes easy to feel isolated and that conspiracies exist or that
the OSMF board members are not acting in good faith. I have deep
respect for the team and the board and I feel that if you did too we
could work better toward making OSM even more successful.

Best

Steve