[OSM-legal-talk] Open Data Licence (Re: 23rd Dec board meeting)

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sun Jan 25 16:07:38 GMT 2009

Simon Ward wrote:

> I can’t help but think it would be more with the spirit of the project
> to have open development of the licence, and that it would have been
> beneficial if this had been an open development much earlier.

I've submitted comments on previous drafts of the licence via the blog
it was posted on and got feedback, and I bumped into Jordan at a
conference last year and mentioned some things to him then (iirc).

This is comparable to the access I (as a pleb) had to the CC and GPL
redrafting processes.

> By having a closed development process, and publishing drafts for
> review,

I don't understand what an open development process for a legal document
would look like if not iterated drafting and comment.

This is how every other licence drafting and re-drafting process I've
been involved with has worked.

There should be another round of comment on the licence, no matter how
fed up everyone is with the process, but not any kind of exercise in
legal crowdsourcing or radical democracy.

- Rob.