[OSM-legal-talk] Licensing Working Group report, 2009/01/22

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jan 25 16:30:27 GMT 2009

Hi,

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> By all means have an optional _poll_ beforehand among people who care.

If 75% of participants in such a (public) poll say "cool, let's go ahead
with this license" then I'd say it's ok to start offering it to mappers.
If 75% say "I think this needs some more work BEFORE it is launched, not
after" then it definitely needs work. Hard to say what happens in between.

As long as there's any meaningful consultation - i.e. a consultation
that at least in theory could lead to the license being sent back to the
drawing board, as Andy Robinson put it - I guess I'm ok with it.

I was just unsure because if you're looking at it from an evil angle,
Mikel's words could be constructed as meaning: "We'll simply put a
relicense button up on the web page as soon as the lawyers have finished
the draft, and while all those mappers that don't have a clue happily
relicense, we let the folks on legal-talk discuss everything into oblivion."

I have access to a large proportion of mappers in Germany. I have not
made any attempt to discuss the license topic at large on the German
mailing list because it seemed unnecessary to open up another place
where the same stuff is discussed. Before the new license is being
offered to mappers, however, I want the draft translated and dissected
in the German community so that they, as far as possible, can form an
opinion together, as a community. Even if they're not asked to give
input but just make up their mind about "go or no-go", at least that
time is required - BEFORE the license becomes active and BEFORE
un-informed mappers may have made a choice they later regret.

Reading Mikel's postings, I felt there was a danger that OSMF could
attempt to bypass this community opinion forming by offering the new
license to mappers as soon as it was published. Such a political
maneouvre would have been considered extremely bad style not only by
myself. I now see that this was just paranoia on my part.

(It is probably even required to translate the license into German
before a mapper from Germany can lawfully re-license; otherwise they can
always claim they were not clear about what they were signing.)