[OSM-legal-talk] Licensing Working Group report, 2009/01/22

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sun Jan 25 20:13:21 GMT 2009

andrzej zaborowski wrote:
> True that the information is not structured and costs a person
> putting the information on OSM a bit of "surveying" across
> wikipedia.  However it wouldn't be available without the
> effort put by wikipedians into gatherting the information.

This is called "sweat of the brow" and is not enough to merit copyright in
most jurisdictions, which require originality or creativity. The exception
is, of course, the UK and our wonderfully dysfunctional copyright laws.

What is of more concern is that I suspect many of those facts on Wikipedia
would have been found by the contributor looking on a copyrighted database -
most probably Google Maps. Wikipedia is nowhere near as paranoid as we are
about copyright, except in a fairly narrow interpretation of image
copyright. As with Geonames, I don't think it's an acceptable source for OSM
in any circumstances, tbh.

> There's also a local garmin maps project in Poland that predates
> OSM from where a lot of data has been initially imported.  Their
> page says "they suppose their license terms are those of
> CC-BY-SA"

Well, someone should tell them CC-BY-SA doesn't work for data. :p

cheers
Richard