[OSM-legal-talk] Trademark applications

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 11:25:24 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> In a variation of the well-known "Hanlon's razor" I'm tempted to assume
> that rather than deliberately keeping information from you (and the
> members), the lack of communication might be due to other priorities
> and/or possibly less-than-well-defined responsibilities, or maybe a lack
> of professionalism (something that I would not hold against the OSMF
> board since they haven't to my knowledge ever claimed to be, or were
> elected on the assumption they are, administration professionals).

Well said.

> I remember there was a guy a few months ago who loudly complained about
> some E-Mail of his not having been answered by CloudMade,
[...]
> Maybe CloudMade have investigated
> this and meanwhile settled on a system, and are willing to share their
> know-how with the Foundation board so the same software can be used for
> OSMF business?

Hah, that fell to me. I can safely say that no system of tracking
emails appears to be able to cope with a particular non-technical
problem - when people simply don't have enough time to do everything
they need to, there's no way around it. Like when there's more
important+urgent things to do than manpower to do them time spent
prioritising doesn't make the list shorter; when there's too many
emails to respond to then keeping track of them doesn't help create
answers.

If I do find the magic bullet (I have Matt and Shaun working on
hooking up our über-cool Artificial Intelligence system to our email
autoresponder) I'll be sure to let the foundation know. But until
then, my variant on Hanlon's Razor would be

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by overwork"

Cheers,
Andy