[OSM-legal-talk] 23rd Dec board meeting

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Mon Jan 26 21:58:13 GMT 2009

MJ Ray wrote:

> As I understand it, once the trademark registration is confirmed (no
> matter who to), unauthorised commercial use of the mark becomes a
> criminal act punishable by unlimited fines and up to 10 years prison.
> Has a written license been granted, or are you expecting people not to
> call it OSM any more?

Has anyone been contacted by OSMF's lawyers regarding trademark use?

I thought not.

But guidelines on trademark use would be good. In particular, the OSM
trademark should serve the traditional purpose for trademarks of
protecting consumers from inferior knock-offs.

e.g -

http://www.debian.org/trademark

- Rob.