[OSM-legal-talk] 23rd Dec board meeting

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 26 22:33:12 GMT 2009

Rob Myers wrote:
>Sent: 26 January 2009 9:58 PM
>To: Licensing and other legal discussions.
>Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] 23rd Dec board meeting
>
>MJ Ray wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, once the trademark registration is confirmed (no
>> matter who to), unauthorised commercial use of the mark becomes a
>> criminal act punishable by unlimited fines and up to 10 years prison.
>> Has a written license been granted, or are you expecting people not to
>> call it OSM any more?
>
>Has anyone been contacted by OSMF's lawyers regarding trademark use?
>
>I thought not.
>
>But guidelines on trademark use would be good. In particular, the OSM
>trademark should serve the traditional purpose for trademarks of
>protecting consumers from inferior knock-offs.
>
>e.g -
>
>http://www.debian.org/trademark
>
>- Rob.

Thanks Rob,

When we get to it we will I am sure need to offer some guidance on
acceptable use of any marks. What that guidance needs to be somewhat depends
on what is the final outcome on the various applications. Everyone needs to
understand why the Trademark application was made in the first place, not
because Steve wanted to control anything but out of concern that someone
might use the openstreetmap logo or name to the detriment of the project.
That's something that is of course very close to Steve's heart and likewise
that of the whole OSM contributor community.

With applications under OSMF control nothing has changed. If anyone feels
the need to make a request to use any of the OSM potential marks at this
point in time then feel free to send an email to me as Secretary and I'll
bring it up with the rest of the OSMF board. We may be able to put out
interim guidance.

Cheers

Andy