[OSM-legal-talk] Privacy and Terms

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Jul 3 16:44:45 BST 2009

Francis Davey wrote:
> OK. As I said, google maps don't have a T&C imposed before use -
> what would be useful is to identify what exactly are the problems
> that one is seeking to deal with before going straight to code.

Google Maps (read-only, equivalent to browsing OSM) have Terms of Service:
   http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/help/terms_maps.html

Google MapMaker (user-contributed, equivalent to contributing to OSM) has
its own Terms of Service:
   http://www.google.com/mapmaker/intl/en_ALL/mapfiles/s/terms_mapmaker.html

To contribute to GMM, you need a Google Account. This requires explicit
assent to their terms (by clicking "I accept. Create my account."). These
terms explicitly flag up that you will be agreeing to the terms of
individual Google 'Services' when you use them:
   "Your agreement with Google will also include the terms of any Legal
Notices applicable to the Services, in addition to the Universal Terms. All
of these are referred to below as the “Additional Terms”. Where Additional
Terms apply to a Service, these will be accessible for you to read either
within, or through your use of, that Service."

AIUI, the Foundation's proposal is that a standard ToS will be linked from
the website, and additional contributor terms will require assent when you
create an account. This is exactly equivalent to Google Maps, unless I've
misunderstood.

cheers
RJF1001, oops, Richard