[OSM-legal-talk] Is CC-BY-SA really so ineffective? (was: Privacy and Terms)

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Mon Jul 6 09:27:57 BST 2009

Frederik Ramm <frederik at ...> writes:

>>If it is the settled view of the OSM project, based on legal advice,
>>that copyright plus CC-BY-SA does not protect the Openstreetmap
>>geodata from being copied and incorporated into other works, can an
>>official statement be made to this effect?
>
>No, because we play the same game as everyone else does. We don't know
>if there is copyright but we claim there is, just to be on the "safe"
>side, i.e. at least instil some fear of potential lawsuits in those who
>would use our data without adhering to our license.

I think this is a very sensible policy, and quite enough deterrent to stop
companies using OSM map data without following the CC-BY-SA share-alike terms.
I cannot imagine any map company wanting to take the risk.

So I still don't understand why some people are so keen to drop CC-BY-SA and
start a legal arms race by using an EULA instead.  If it ain't broke, don't
fix it.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>