[OSM-legal-talk] Privacy and Terms

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 11:24:59 BST 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:43 AM, Frederik Ramm<frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> If it can be shown that we can copy from other maps with impunity, then
> we can bin the whole re-licensing effort and go PD right away.

i dunno about that. from richardf's research it seems that tracing
over aerial imagery is hard/skilled/creative enough to qualify for
copyright (at least, in Canada), so maybe *some* of the data would
need re-licensing to become PD.

but, to prove that we can copy from other maps with impunity there
needs to be a precedent, preferably in several jurisdictions. so could
someone please start ripping off OSM so that we can sue them and get
some case law, please? donations for the lawyer(s) welcome at the
usual place. ;-)

cheers,

matt