[OSM-legal-talk] Can feature names be determined from copyrighted data?

Pavel Zubkou thegowr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 08:12:10 BST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Grant
Slater<openstreetmap at firefishy.com> wrote:
> It is best to be paranoid.
> Live in the belief that all in copyright maps are covered in "Trap
> Streets" [1] (or names) waiting to catch us out.
>
> 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_street

In Belarus maps are an objects of copiright ([1], Article 7.1), but
"information as such" does not covered by copyright (Article 8.2). Am
I correctly understood this copyright law, that I can use information
such as names from maps freely? And if so, can I use this data on OSM?
Both I and map provider are residents of Belarus.

1: http://www.law.by/work/EnglPortal.nsf/6e1a652fbefce34ac2256d910056d559/7e18184c14ae0e6bc2256dec0042400c?OpenDocument