[OSM-legal-talk] signup notice

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jun 1 22:30:19 BST 2009

Hi,

Russ Nelson wrote:
> If the OSMF went into a court of law and tried to
> claim that, because your computer connected once upon a time to OSM,
> that everything your computer ever did thereafter had to be
> copyrighted CC-By-SA, the judge would laugh the OSMF out of court,

Fully agree; I had read the signup notice long ago and thought to myself
"what a stupid wording" but knowing full well that this could never be
used to claim rights on documents I wrote with a word processor on the
same machine that once connected to OSM, I didn't bother.

But even though that interpretation is rather laughable, the original
poster is right: The wording might unnecessarily upset some people, so
why not fix it.