[OSM-legal-talk] OGC Geospatial Rights Management Summit

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jun 9 09:06:00 BST 2009

Hi,

Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> "Facts are Facts and can't be Copyrighted"

... which ist not exactly the position that OSM is taking on this
matter; in fact, with ODBL we go to great lengths to ensure that even if
our facts should not be copyrightable we still get to say exactly under
what conditions they are used through contract and database law. We're
willing to enter completely uncharted waters and use a new and untested
licensing framework precisely because we do *not* want our data to be
free of any restrictions.

So if you are looking for someone who takes the above position, best
talk to one of the Science Commons guys!