[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL RC and share-alike licensing of Produced Works

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 11:51:49 BST 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:10 AM, 80n<80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 11:46 PM, Henk Hoff <osm at toffehoff.nl> wrote:
>> So if you have a Produced Work based on:
>> - the database: no need for reverse engineering since the database is
>> freely available
>
> The database is not freely available.  It is only available under OdbL.

i think Henk meant "openly available".

> The incentive to reverse engineer a produced work would be to create map
> data that isn't constrained by the OdbL.  This modification would allow that
> to happen.  This is unsatisfactory.

406!

i don't think this modification would allow that to happen. i think
the point Henk was trying to make is that the desire to
reverse-engineer might be reduced by the availability of an ODbL
derived database for every public produced work.

people will still try to remove the ODbL from the data for $REASON,
but (in my opinion) the license can stand without the
reverse-engineering clause.

cheers,

matt