[OSM-legal-talk] OGC Geospatial Rights Management Summit

John Wilbanks wilbanks at creativecommons.org
Tue Jun 9 14:27:23 BST 2009

Puneet Kishor, who is a Science Commons Fellow looking at geospatial
data and climate change, will be attending and hoisting the facts can't
be copyrighted flag.

jtw

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:06:00 +0200
From: Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>
Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] OGC Geospatial Rights Management Summit
To: "Licensing and other legal discussions."
	<legal-talk at openstreetmap.org>

Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
 > > "Facts are Facts and can't be Copyrighted"

... which ist not exactly the position that OSM is taking on this
matter; in fact, with ODBL we go to great lengths to ensure that even if
our facts should not be copyrightable we still get to say exactly under
what conditions they are used through contract and database law. We're
willing to enter completely uncharted waters and use a new and untested
licensing framework precisely because we do *not* want our data to be
free of any restrictions.

So if you are looking for someone who takes the above position, best
talk to one of the Science Commons guys!