[OSM-legal-talk] Lawyer responses to use cases, major problems

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Mar 1 10:04:05 GMT 2009

Hi,

    to make this clearer:

Simon Ward wrote:
> ODbL already defines derivatives, produced works and collective
> databases separately, and is much more permissive for the latter two.
> Distribute a derived database, share it please.

The spirit of the database share-alike license is to force people to
give back any improvements they make to the database.

If we have before us a license that will also force people to make
available any interim product that does not constitute an improvement,
at potentially prohibitive cost to them (because, as in my osm2pgsql
example, creating the interim derivative costs 10 seconds while making
it available costs 30 minutes or so), then we do not gain anything from
this and *either* ruin potential uses *or* - and this is the more likely
outcome - start disregarding our own license from day one because we
carry on making current tiles available without making the matching
current osm2pgsql dumps available.

I'm surprised that nobody else seems to see a problem in this. Am I
perhaps barking up some completely imaginary tree?

Bye
Frederik