[OSM-legal-talk] "A Creative Commons iCommons license"

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 11:44:25 GMT 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Not on the map per se, but if you use the map to re-create the original
> database then - at least that's what I was thinking! - you are not using
> your own database but you are (again) using the database compiled by the
> original owner, so you need his permission to use it. This is - I
> thought - absolutely independent of the channel through which you
> received the original database.

Think of CC0 (waive all database rights) or WTFPL (Can I... trace from the
map and sell the result?). With such licenses you can not keep any databse
rights.

But then again, the ODbL says "[a]ny product of this type of reverse
engineering activity (whether done by You or on Your
behalf by a third party) is governed by this License". I fail to see how a
person having access to only the Produced Work (that would be, for instance,
a user of an online mapping service using OSM data), could be bound by the
ODbL. As long as he or she does not reverse engineer "on Your behalf", it
seems such reverse engineering would be allowed.

 - Gustav