[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL License + Outline Procedure

OJ W ojwlists at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 1 21:03:20 GMT 2009

What's the purpose of S5.0 (disclaimer of moral rights), especially
since the plain meaning of that section appears to differ from the
'attribution' element of the current license (not that I think
attribution is a great idea with so many contributors, but some
bulk-data donors include attribution in their license to us)

More importantly, is S5.0 still meaningful if it doesn't apply to everyone?

e.g. imagine its purpose is to reduce attribution requirements to
"this is OSM data'" rather than requiring 2 million names and
pseudonyms on the back of each map (this being a guess as to its
purpose, hence 1st question).  Is it even worth bothering if we still
have to list the names of anyone who contributed from an area where
they don't waive their moral rights?

suppose the "I accept this new licence" tickbox is implemented and I
tick it while on holiday in Algeria.  Will I then get the opportunity
to demand that all OSM-derived products list me as the author, and
object to anything which portrays the map in a manner I'm not happy
with?