[OSM-legal-talk] Who is ODC and why do we trust them?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Mar 2 08:56:41 GMT 2009

On 2 Mar 2009, at 08:29, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    Grant wrote in his announcement:
>
> "... Therefore, we have worked with the license authors and others to
> build a suitable home where a community and process can be built
> around
> it. Its new home is with the Open Data Commons
> http://www.opendatacommons.org."

snip

> The December 23 board meeting minutes say: "No hosting option for the
> licence is currently available and therefore OSMF may need to host.",
> which suggests that the ODC/OKFN idea is a relatively young one. The
> same meeting minutes also reported that "all communications with
> Jordan
> [Hatcher] had broken down"; it is good to see that this seemed to be
> temporary, but still this does not exactly give the impression that
> the
> ODC/OKFN connection is a well-thought-out and future-proof thing.
> Sounds
> more like clutching at straws as far as I'm concerned.

I suggest we create a OSM wiki page for OpenDataCommons and also the
Open Knoweldege Fundation and add what information we can gleen from
our research to it. We will be getting our lawyer to look into this
aspect of the license and will report when we know more. However....
the legal entity is Open Knowledge Foundation and the directors/
trustees there should be in charge of any changes. We probably need to
know a lot more about that organisation and the people behind it. I do
however think it looks like a very valuable organisation with a very
useful initiative.

Btw, we don't have any published minutes from the OSMF for Jan or Feb
09 yet so we have no visibility of what decisions they have been
making which is a shame. I will email them and suggest that they
publish them to help in this process.

Regards,

Peter Miller
ITO World Ltd