[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] License to kill

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 5 18:10:04 GMT 2009

Hi,

Peter Miller wrote:
>> If we get 99% there with version 1.0 and version 2.0 takes the next
>> two years then the cost benefit, to me, would suggest 1.0 as the
>> better deal.
>
> Lets first get the consultation input into Jordan, then lets read the
> updated draft, then comment again if that is requested, then wait for
> the final draft for version 1.

Yes. "For the avoidance of doubt", the current draft is IMO nowhere even
near "99% there" and it is absolutely clear that changes have to be
made. Also, the cost of staying with buggy old CC-BY-SA for a few months
longer is rather negligible, so any cost-benefit analysis would have to
take that into account. It's not that our house is burning and we need
someone with a hose quickly.

> We can then decide as a community if we
> are happy to proceed (which I think we will). If there is a big
> problem then I suspect that a version 1.1 could be turned round
> quickly to address it.

Good for you to be optimistic, however I quote Rufus Pollock from
odc-discuss:

"I'd also point out that it will be possible upgrade the license (a
v2.0 if you like) though that is not likely to happen that quickly
after a v1.0 release."

The worst that could happen would be to talk people into accepting a
buggy 1.0 with the promise of a quick upgrade to a fixed 1.1 and then
seeing 1.1 take forever.

It's not that I expect a license to be perfect, none will ever be; I
just expect us to fix the bugs we already see, and reserve the upgrade
mechanism for those that pop up later, rather than rushing through
something where we already have a list of known bugs.

Bye
Frederik