[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] License to kill

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Mar 5 23:11:04 GMT 2009

OJ W wrote:
> Given that maps need to be regularly updated to stay useful,
> anyone relying on a CC-BY-SA loophole will be just as SOL if
> we change the license in a year as if we changed it in time
> for april fools

Shit, I'd better cancel the 25,000 copies of Waterways World rolling off the
presses with a largely NPE-derived map of the Chesterfield Canal in, then.

I can count on two hands the number of British canals that have moved in the
last _century_. The Aire & Calder was rerouted because of some mining
subsidence. The Ribble Link is new. The Falkirk Wheel caused a realignment
of the F&C/Union junction. The Worcester & Birmingham now swerves to avoid
the M42. Er...

cheers
Richard