[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] License to kill

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 11:02:08 GMT 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
> > I recently asked board at osmf for a list of members and received the
> > answer that providing such a list might clash with members' privacy; but
> > they said they thought that creating a members-only mailing list would
> > be a good idea (I expect this to be done any day now). So I guess that,
> > once the list is set up, if you find you receive mails from that list
> > then you are a member ;-)
>
> I was going to say that they were absolutely right not to give it to you
> as it would certainly never have occurred to me that anybody could ask
> for list and I wouldn't have expected it to be given out, but...
>
> The fact is that we don't really know whether we have an obligation to
publish the list of members or not.  When I incorporated the Foundation I
didn't know the answer so I put some words on the site to say that by
default we'll protect your privacy but we might have a legal obligation to
disclose.  As of now we still don't know the actual answer because nobody
has been motivated enough to find out.

We've only ever had one request for the list, from Frederik, and he said
he'd be happy with a mailing list for all members instead, so we still
haven't bothered to find out the answer.  It probably rests on the
definition of what a member is.

80n