[OSM-legal-talk] CC-BY-SA and T+Cs

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Mar 6 19:15:23 GMT 2009

Hi,

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Very often CC-BY-SA items will be conveyed with contractual
> restrictions: Andy A cited the other day that the cycle map has its own Ts &
> Cs, for example.

So has CloudMade; they say that you may access their site "solely for
your personal use". It is an interesting twist of share-alike; you
cannot, of course, say that the map tile you are serving is for personal
use because that would violate the license. But it seems that you can
restrict the way in which you deliver it (since making stuff available
is completely outside the scope of CC-BY-SA - you must only allow others
to pass it on, you need not pass it on yourself).

Grammatically speaking that's the difference between an adverb and an
adjective - the map tiles are free, but they are not delivered freely.
Once you have the map tile you can do with it what you want, but in
order to *get* the map tile you have to agree to Ts&Cs.

It seems obvious that under CC-BY-SA you have no obligation to give your
tiles to anyone. I could set up a tile server and only allow access to
people whose first name begins with A, or to those who pay me.

The interesting question is, can I use this power to restrict how people
use my tiles? Can I say "this is an open server that anyone can access,
but if you plan to use the tile for a satanic ritual after you have
accessed the server, then you do not have permission to access my site?
Oh yes I cannot disallow that you use the tile for a satanic ritual but
I can disallow that you use my site to access it... and by the way I
also disallow anyone to access my site with the plan of giving the tile
to you so don't you think of asking your friend".

Can I say "anyone can download this tile and it is CC-BY-SA, but if you
want to print it, then you have to give me 5 pounds because *free*
access to this site is only granted to those who don't intend to print?"

This is relevant (as long as we're still CC-BY-SA anyway) because the
OSMF are planning to limit use of the Mapnik tile server as well; there
is stuff about tile serving in the 2008-07-23, 2008-08-30 and 2008-09-24
OSMF board meeting minutes
(http://foundation.openstreetmap.org/officers-board/board-meeting-minutes/);
the issue seems to be on hold for the moment but there seem to be people
  on the OSMF board for whom scaling back OSMF tile serving is a high
priority item. We'll see if and how the recent funding drive has maybe
reduced pressure on this front, but I should not be surprised if OSMF
one day says that they'll stop serving tiles to commercial users or "for
commercial purposes" or whatever, which would also make them have to
answer the above questions.

(For the record, even though I run a company that is set to benefit from
OSMF reducing service because this would increase the market for
commercial map data providers, I don't advocate such a move.)

Bye
Frederik