[OSM-legal-talk] Reverse-Engineering Maps and Share-Alike Licences

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 00:20:13 GMT 2009

On 7 Mar 2009, at 23:56, OJ W <ojwlists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Gervase Markham <gerv-
> gmane at gerv.net> wrote:
>> b) If people are reverse-engineering our stuff,  they need a
>> massive, sustained, continuous Mechanical Turk effort
>
> unless they create SVG files that just happen to contain the same data
> as OSM files and we add a loophole that says SVG files are a derived
> work instead of a database, thus allowing wtfyw license to be applied.

My evil alter ego would be quite interested in developing a version of
the cycle map that whilst looking a bit strange just so happened to be
quite easy to run OMR over.

Perhaps Dave's evil alter ego would find writing such an Optical Map
Recogniser interesting...

I think without the reverse engineering clause, you may as well make
it PD in the first place..

Cheers,
Andy