[OSM-legal-talk] Reverse-Engineering Maps and Share-Alike Licences

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Sun Mar 8 10:04:20 GMT 2009

2009/3/8 Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com>:
> On 7 Mar 2009, at 23:56, OJ W <ojwlists at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Gervase Markham <gerv-
>> gmane at gerv.net> wrote:
>>> b) If people are reverse-engineering our stuff,  they need a
>>> massive, sustained, continuous Mechanical Turk effort
>>
>> unless they create SVG files that just happen to contain the same data
>> as OSM files and we add a loophole that says SVG files are a derived
>> work instead of a database, thus allowing wtfyw license to be applied.
>
> My evil alter ego would be quite interested in developing a version of
> the cycle map that whilst looking a bit strange just so happened to be
> quite easy to run OMR over.
>
> Perhaps Dave's evil alter ego would find writing such an Optical Map
> Recogniser interesting...

Yes. The "OMR". Pass in a tile png with full path and the magic box
reverse engineers it. Any network activity to openstreetmap.org is
entirely coincidental. Hey, he is evil you know.

I can assure you even my evil alter ego would refuse to do anything
that possibly might involve a fourrier transform.

Dave