[OSM-legal-talk] Difference between a Produced Work and a Derived Database

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 22:03:17 GMT 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Jean-Christophe Haessig <
jean-christophe.haessig at dianosis.org> wrote:

> In fact, we might not have to define what a Produced Work is. Instead,
> we could let the producer of the derived work fully decide:

My current interpretation of the ODbL is that this is precisely the
intention.  If you publish it as a Produced Work then it is a Produced
Work.  If you publish it as ODbL then it is ODbL.

What happens when you use a Produced Work is that if you try to access it as
a database then it magically reverts to being an ODbL licensed work because
of the reverse engineering clause.

Unfortunately, while this is nice in theory, it means that you can't license
a Produced Work under a share-alike license because the reverse engineering
clause is incompatible with every share-alike license.

I don't see any way around this at the moment and we really do need a
solution.

80n