[OSM-legal-talk] Difference between a Produced Work and a Derived Database

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Mar 8 22:44:37 GMT 2009

Hi,

Jean-Christophe Haessig wrote:
> If section 4.7
> is where it is required to transfer the reverse engineereng clause into
> the PW’s license, why doesn’t it say so?

If I tell you "I give you this book but it must not be scanned and put
on the internet", then while I don't explicitly say "and if you pass it
on to someone else you have to make sure they don't scan it and put it
on the internet", but that's kind of implicit, is it not?

> What are the other options to
> prevent reverse engineering than putting a clause in the PW’s license?

You are right, ODbL does not mandate that attribution is put in to the
license of the Produced Work, it only requires that the Produced Work is
attributed properly; it seems I have misunderstood you there.

I agree that if the goal of the license was to make it clearly
understandable to laymen, then it has failed this goal, or at least it
is not any better than CC-BY-SA.

Bye
Frederik