[OSM-legal-talk] Computer-generated derivative

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Mar 10 09:15:30 GMT 2009

On 10 Mar 2009, at 08:30, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:

> Peter Miller <peter.miller at ...> writes:
>>>

>> Is there is Use Case that you could put on the wiki for this one?
>>
>> I am not following the thread but if you want it to be checked out by
>> a lawyer then I suggest you get it on the wiki in the same format as
>> the others. In the end we need a license that works for the key use
>> cases. If the ODbL one won't do that then we will need to think
>> again.
>> What is clear is that the current version of the ODbL isn't there
>> yet.
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_Licence/Use_Cases
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter
>
> I don't know if this is such a use case at all.  Perhaps it is just
> another
> example about how garbled situations will occur because it is
> technically so
> easy to get and combine spatial datasets which are under different
> licenses.
> But what can be done?

A Use Case is a 'situation'. If you can't construct a Use Case for the
situation then there is not a problem because there is not a use!

If however this is just an example of an existing Use Case then we
only need to highlight the existing case as an important one.

> If licenses do not suit together then they don't.
Possibly we will determine that Creative Commons were right all along
and that we need to use a 'PD with a moral component' license. I am
still open on the matter, but we do need a license that allows the
data to be used without significant restrictions and this problem
seems to be a big one.

> I am preparing one dataset to fit the implementing rules of INSPIRE
> directive,
> and I have started to think that even if the rules are quite heavy and
> bureaucratic at least it is good that all the INSPIRE datasets will
> be under
> same legistlation.  That will make it a rather straight forward
> process to
> combine data from different sources.  At least it will be simple for
> ourselves,
> the bureaucrats.
>
> Let's hope that there will be some day at least two user contributed
> datasets
> that have combatible licenses and people can start using them
> together in
> creative, productive, or unexpected ways.

Lets ensure that OSM gets to that place! Personally I think OSM is
strong enough to 'survive' being PD and the competition that it would
allow using the same dataset. It wasn't my original preference but if
the license can't support these applications then I will be convinced.

Peter