[OSM-legal-talk] License Telephone Debate

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 00:33:33 GMT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 08:26:14PM -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2009, at 6:00 PM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> >  why are we bothering with switching OSM to 1.0 at all?
> > Why not just wait for the 1.1 fixed version?
>
> 1) Because ODbL 1.0 is better than  C-By-SA

So far that is one thing that is subject to debate.  Unless the produced
works and derivative databases thing is sorted, if it’s better than
CC-by-sa, it’s not by much, and certainly not enough to warrant the
licence change.

> 2) Because it's not clear that we'll understand ODbL any time soon
> well enough to fix any problems.

If we don’t understand it we shouldn’t use it.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall