[OSM-legal-talk] Google using OSM data (re ODbL)

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 09:23:54 GMT 2009

Hi all,
i'll try another angle and just be 'to the point'

Lets say "Google wants to use OSM data, but is unsure how because our
licence is unclear"

This is stating what we are thinking, but knowone actually said it. :-)

Googles motto is "don't be evel", and personally, i believe that
Google wants todo what is "right" (if not, the company would not have
been underestimated by Bill Gates.

Ted, gave us the Ok, (basically i say) that the value of OSM cannot be
measured in $'s but in the usage of this 'linked data'.

We need to find a way to state that "Google can use OSM data, provided
that the database gets used in a viral (or recriprical) nature.

With the following conditions (Just as JOSM works) by;
1 -Grabbing the latest data, lets users log in & mess with the data &
record a session history, when done 'messing with the data' it gets
tossed back to the OSM database.
2 -IF someone else was 'messing with the data at the same time' a list
of conflicts will get shown.
3 -All tags get decided upon by the community.
4 -Knowone actually can 'own' the database, they just 'own' the data
that they contributed.
5 -For modifing data, users just own THEIR modifications."
***
So if an agreement can be made which takes everything into account,
were set :-) (and (hypothecially) Google will be happy)

Hope that helps,

Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails