[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL comments from Creative Commons

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Mar 21 23:39:01 GMT 2009

Hi,

Simon Ward wrote:
> Greater certainty in one area does not necessarily mean there is greater
> certainty in others.  If we remove all obligation to reciprocate,
> increasing the certainty that someone may redistribute the database in
> their own product (it may be proprietary) without recrimination, then we
> lose the certainty that derivatives would be free for all as is the
> intent with share‐alike.

What I wanted to say was that, to a certain degree, *any* certainty is
better than a random assortment of "may", "might", "the project
consensus seems to be that...", "i am not a lawyer but...", "depending
on your jurisdiction", and "depending on the judge's interpreation".

If the whole thing is share-alike then I would at least like to have the
rules laid out in a way that makes it clear what I have to do to be on
the "right side".

I am not entirely happy about your "when in doubt, try to err on the
sharing side". I would very much like to avoid a situation in which an
uncertainty in the interpretation of the license makes user A refrain
from doing something (because he thinks it "might" be against the
license) whereas user B brazenly does the same thing and gains some kind
of advantage by doing it, and then A starts complaining to us.

Bye
Frederik