[OSM-legal-talk] OS Copyright Notice and Year

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 23 10:50:47 GMT 2009

Using the last date is the approach I take for the 1:25,000
provisional/first edition maps I'm collecting. Most don't have a copyright
date but luckily I have the excellent book on the 1:25,000 series written by
Peter Hellyer which confirms what year a particular map edition/print
edition appeared in the OS's official catalogue. I'm using this as a basis
of when a map was actually published.

Arguably those print editions of a map which state "reprinted with minor
corrections" are principally the same as their original counterparts, mostly
only a few major new roads (e.g. the early by-passes) were added between
versions or a new airfield popped up, that sort of thing. There is a good
chance that these later versions still have the earlier copyright status but
because I can't be sure I stick with the later date that these later print
editions were published.

Luckily many of these minor corrected versions were produced only a few
years after their original counterparts and thus it's not too long to wait
for many to loose their copyright where I can't get hold of the original
version at a low cost. With over 2000 to collect in all price per map is an
important factor.

Cheers
Andy