[OSM-legal-talk] SOTM legal talks

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Sat May 9 00:24:12 BST 2009

Hi

We, the legal working group have been asked as a result of a chat in
the SOTM working group call (which mike and I were also on) to propose
talk(s) about the license at SOTM.

Today in our call we brainstormed a little around a few ideas and we
thought it would be good to flesh them out here and see what you guys
think might work, or not. So here are some ideas to think around, or
if you have your own please chime in. We can do these, some
combination, all of them, or whatever. We'd like your help in thinking
what the best things to do are

1) A high level, simple, talk for the business day on rough use cases
on the data and best practise. Something like "you can use OSM data
but make sure you don't mix it with proprietary data, make sure you
attribute OSM". This wouldn't be a perfect talk, but would give
businesses and people looking to get involved with OSM a high level
introduction without getting too scary

2) A talk at the main OSM conf days about the PROCESS of the legal
working group. How often we meet, who we are, how a meeting goes, what
we discuss, who we talk to, what the minutes look like, how to get
involved... This is just about how we work, not the subject matter to
give people a better insight in to what goes on.

3) A debate at the main OSM conf. A panel of key members of the
license working group plus jordan and rufus. It lasts an hour. 15
minutes are brief introductions and points of view from the panel
members and then 45 minutes of open debate on any license issue with a
moderator. This might be before lunch or a break so people can
continue discussing afterward.

4) The same as (3) but with a _structured_ debate. Say 4 main topics
and 10 minutes debate on each, or 3 topics of 15 minutes each.
Something like that so that rather than debate about anything we
debate some key issues to make sure they are covered.

Remember these are only ideas to be discussed here, not our solid
plans. Thoughts?

Best

Steve