[OSM-legal-talk] Q&A with a lawyer

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue May 12 10:13:28 BST 2009

Hi,

> the OSMF LWG recently had a couple of calls with Clark Asay, who has
> generously agreed to give OSMF legal advice concerning the new
> license. i've attached the write up of the first of the calls

Was that based on the 0.9 or 1.0 license?

I am concerned because of

Q: Is the process of creating a Produced Work restricted or affected by
the ODbL in any way? Do any details of the process of creating a
Produced Work need to be made Public?

A: No. The process of creating a Produced Work does not need to be
revealed, so any artistic interpretation involved does not have to be
made available. The only requirement of the ODbL is the notice from
section 4.3.

and

Q: How often does a Derived Database have to be made available? Must
this be as often as my produced work or can I do this on a less frequent
basis? How soon after the Produced Work is published must I make it
available?

A: Under the current version of the license, it isn't necessary to make
the derived database available.

It was my understanding that the above would have been true for 0.9,
while the April 2008 ODbL draft and 1.0 would require making available
the derivative database on which a produced work is built.

Bye
Frederik