[OSM-legal-talk] SOTM legal talks

Martijn van Exel mvexel at gmail.com
Tue May 12 20:02:35 BST 2009

My thoughts:
I think a debate of some kind will be preferable over a one-sided
presentation of the state of affairs or even the process. This has
been a hotly debated topic over the last period, I believe some format
involving the audience is therefore called for.

If we're going to involve Rufus and Jordan, 1hr might not even be
enough time. It is complicated business we're dealing with and most in
the audience will need some introduction (say 20 or even 30mins).
Someone in the legal WG explaining:
* Key differences between current and envisaged license.
* Key arguments for changing over
* Timeline: where are we, where will we be 3m, 6m, 1y from now
* What can you do? What is expected of you?
I know most of these topics have been dealt with extensively on the
lists and on the wiki, but if we want a lively debate involving the
audience, we will require this refresher course.
That would leave about 30-40mins for a debate. That can only work if
we have good moderation around a couple of well chosen topic, I think
no more than three, allowing 10-15 mins per topic.
If we plan this before lunch or at the end of the day (I'd prefer the
former, a heavyweight topic at the end of the day will not go down
well) we can have informal discussion afterwards.

Take care,

martijn van exel -+- mvexel at gmail.com -+- http://www.schaaltreinen.nl/