[OSM-legal-talk] Q&A with a lawyer

Ulf Möller usenet at ulfm.de
Wed May 13 20:25:42 BST 2009

Jukka Rahkonen schrieb:

> And if the maintainer of the derived database has a
> community that continues to collect new data under ODbL 1.0 terms, and the main
> OSM has advanced to ODbL 1.1 or something, is it possible to exchange data
> between these two systems?

According to RC1, you could use a "later version of this Licence similar
in spirit".

We don't know what would be in the hypothetical ODbL 1.1, but I don't
know of any licenses that would allow you to downgrade to a previous
version (if a new license is released to fix problems with the old one,
that option would kind of defeat the purpose of the release).

> Another question:  If the major licensor "stops distributing or making available
> the Database", can those who maintain derived databases immediately do the same?

As I read RC1, they'll have to honor request for access to the database
made to them while they were using it publicly, but that aside they can
stop using the derived database at any time.