[OSM-legal-talk] Q&A with a lawyer

Ulf Möller usenet at ulfm.de
Fri May 15 23:00:53 BST 2009

Frederik Ramm schrieb:

> What I'm concerned with is mainly: How big is the risk of someone
> "whitewashing" our data from the contractual part of the ODbL, then
> introducing it to a large jurisdiction without something like a database
> directive (the US?), and thereby leaving us with only plain copyright
> which (correct me if I'm wrong) we choose not to exercise by applying
> the DbCL?

The ODbL does include a copyright license, with the provision that "The
copyright licensed includes any individual elements of the Database, but
does not cover the copyright over the Contents independent of this
Database."

As I understand it, that means you can use individual database entries
or insubstantial parts under DbCL only but need an ODbL copyright
license if you use more than that.