[OSM-legal-talk] Extent of share alike?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Nov 2 12:48:44 GMT 2009

Hi,

Matt Amos wrote:
> does that mean that no-one can redistribute a screenshot of the
> application?

Yes, that's my reading, unless you invoke some superior right to "fair
use" or "citation" or whatever applicable in your country; which would
of course make any copyright discussion obsolete. - I regularly use
screenshots from proprietary web sites in my talks and I believe I have
the right to do so without even looking at their license, but I am not
100% sure that this is within the law.

> the CC BY-SA portion would imply that the screenshot
> would be CC BY-SA, but the license on the "other layer" of the image
> wouldn't allow that.

Correct. I think that CC-BY-SA creates an incentive for the secretive
data provider to, instead of combining his own data and CC-BY-SA data
server-side and delivering it to the customer, furnish the customer with
a bit of software and feed him CC-BY-SA and proprietary data through
separate channels. That way, the data is combined on the users'
computer, leaving him user with a dead-end undistributable (but usable!)
lump of data.

Surely a win for Freedom!