[OSM-legal-talk] PublicEarth and their Terms of Use

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 18 12:09:37 GMT 2009

Hi,

Tim Waters wrote:
> Then there's the nice issue of making a database from users
> identifying locations based on Google Maps.

You mean that issue nobody except OSM seems to care about ;-)

If they'd be using OSM, would they have to CC-BY-SA all their data? [Is
that why the aren't?]

I don't think the business will fly but it's worth a try. It's one of
these things that I'd never attempt because I'd think it is so obvious
how I'm trying to siphon off community knowledge and not let the
community use that knowledge - but quite a few businesses thrive on that
and I can literally hear armies of PublicEarth fanboys cry out "how cool
is that!". Bet they have some kind of iPhone app to go along with it.

Bye
Frederik