[OSM-legal-talk] distribution

Greg Holloway peanutzkingpenguin at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 1 15:22:08 BST 2009

Hello,

I hope i have picked the right list to ask these questions, please alow me to explain myself;

I am a 4x4 off-roader and i have a laptop on the dash of my vehicle running memory map. I have been searching the internet for cheap & detailed maps. I have had little success. I took the decision to make my own maps. I have began compiling DVDs/CDs with map data taken from the US Gov GeoCover website https://zulu.ssc.nasa.gov/mrsid/mrsid.pl and openstreetmap xml data. i have then encoded it into geotiff tiles for use with memory map and other gps based software.

i have the intention of selling the dvds at cost, around £10. this will include a donation of £2.50 to openstreetmap. the remainder of the money will cover the free postage,ebay fees and the cost of a dvd with a case. I have been trying to find someone at openstreetmap that can help me with the legalities of putting openstreetmap onto a dvd which i then sell. I don't want to step on anyone toes as it were.

for an idea of what i am doing point your browsers to http://maps.sj410.co.uk on there i have the html which autorun when the dvd/cd is inserted into the users pc. i have only started work on iceland for the moment but i hope to include other contries if what i am doing is acceptable.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Greg Holloway.