[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL "virality" questions

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Wed Oct 7 00:21:24 BST 2009

2009/10/6 Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com>:

> as a concrete example, let's pretend i have a site, beerintheOSM,
> which rates pubs and allows commenting and photo uploads. if i'm
> storing the reviews linked against pubs linked against OSM
> (name/location/ID), i definitely have to release the
> (name/location/ID) records - that's not up for discussion. should i
> also have to release the reviews, comments and photos records despite
> the fact that they have no OSM-derived data in them? should i have to
> release my entire database, including my users table?

I would say that related information like reviews, comments, etc. that
were added to beerintheOSM shouldn't need to be released, but we
should encourage any information that *could* live in OSM (e.g. if
users added opening hours) to be released so it could be
re-incorporated.

What would happen if the beerintheOSM site encouraged their users to
add new pubs to their site, would that data - the equivalent of what
would have come from OSM, had they come from there - need to be
released as well, or again something we should just encourage the site
to release?

Dan

--
Dan Karran