[OSM-legal-talk] reciprocal data agreements

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Oct 7 03:26:49 BST 2009

Dear legal-talk,

I wonder if either cc-by-sa, or ODbL anticipate a reciprocal data
agreement between OSM and another project with a different license?

Imagine a data provider using perhaps cc-by, or a BSD style permissive
license contributes their data to OSM.
Imagine then that they would like to monitor changes in OSM to data
that originated from their source.
Imagine then that they would like to incorporate those changes, with
or without further vetting, back into their dataset under their
license.

My understanding is this return of the data to the source would not be
permitted, as is, with either license.

I suggest that we do want to permit this sort of a reciprocal data agreement.

Am I incorrect in my understanding of the licenses and would this be
permitted already?
Could a community guideline address this and permit it in the ODbL
when and if adopted?

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Richard