[OSM-legal-talk] Proper attribution

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Oct 22 14:00:58 BST 2009

On 22 Oct 2009, at 13:44, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Nick,
>
> Nick Black wrote:
>> Could you point out where CloudMade is not attributing OSM properly
>> and
>> we'll fix it right away.
>
> The whitehouse.gov/change site does have a mixed OSM/Cloudmade
> copyright
> notice but lacks the CC-BY-SA declaration that most people believe is
> required.
>
> It was me who added this entry originally, but in the "who" column I
> originally put "US Federal Government", not "Cloudmade". Other people
> have later extended the entry to talk of "Cloudmade clients" or
> something, and I removed my name from the "Added By" column at that
> point because I was, after all, only talking about the
> whitehouse.gov site.

It is my understanding that the map tiles should be released CC-BY-SA
until the new ODbL license appears when the tiles can be released
under virtually any license (including pd and 'all rights reserved').

The current message on the CM site implies that the data is CC-BY-SA
OpenStreetMap but that the map tiles are (C) CloudMade. I believe that
currently it should be clear that the map tiles are released as CC-BY-
SA by CloudMade (who may indeed also hold the (C) of the rendering.

Regards,

Peter