[OSM-legal-talk] Question regarding commercial use

Sven Benhaupt sven.benhaupt at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 26 16:11:05 GMT 2009

Hello,

I'm working for a small delivery company and they're using an internal
Java-based desktop software for managing their deliveries and customers. We
have the lat/lon coordinates (from a commercial geocoding service) of our
customers and my boss asked me if it's possible to display them over an OSM
map inside our desktop software.

My approach would be to setup an own map tile server on Linux with Apache
and mod_tile. Then I would write a small map viewer in Java which downloads
the map tiles and displays them in our software. I would then write a
drawing routine which displays the coordinates of our customers (as red
dots) over the OSM tiles.

Now I have the following two legal questions:

As far as I have understood from the "Common License Interpretations" wiki
page, this is would be a "collective work" since the OSM layer is kept
separate and independent from our own data (and our own data has not beeen
created by looking on the OSM map). Is this correct? When I attribute/credit
the OSM maps correctly inside my map viewer (text & hyperlinks) would this
be a legal use of the OSM map data?

If so - would it also be legally ok if I would create a "print map"
functionality inside my map viewer (also with correct attribution)?

If not, I would of course have to use a commercial map data provider since I
absolutely want to stay legal.

Thanks in advance & big respect to all the OSM contributors,
 svn