[OSM-legal-talk] ODBL enforcement: contract law and remedies

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Oct 28 14:28:29 GMT 2009

Hi,

Andy Allan wrote:
> That is, Creative Commons have advised
> us, and everyone else, to not use CCBYSA for data. It doesn't come
> more plain than that.

I would very much appreciate if *everyone* who invokes Creative Commons
saying that CC-BY-SA is not suitable for data would also add the second
bit, namely that they suggest using CC0, their PD variant, for data.

When Mike Collinson said in hist SOTM speech that Creative Commons do
not recommend CC-BY-SA for data, I half-jokingly called from the
audience: "What *do* they recommend?" - but he left that bit out. I
didn't think much of this but in the last few days I have read many
times over that Creative Commons suggest not to use CC-BY-SA for data
(which is true), but nobody ever bothers to say that they actually spoke
out against ODbL as well because they believe data should be CC0, that
is basically PD.

I'm not saying that Creative Commons are always right, but trying to
make it sound as if they were endorsing OdBL is a bit heavy.

Bye
Frederik