[OSM-legal-talk] Monopoly City Streets

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 00:34:12 BST 2009

On 9/9/09, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:

>>I think that their DB is a derivative work of the OSM data and that
>>share-alike should apply.
>
> Even if that is true, they are not distributing their database to anyone
> else.

indeed. one of the myriad flaws (as i see it, anyway) of the CC
license is that only the end-product needs to be shared-alike. if
they're only distributing tiles derived from the OSM database, but not
a merged database... well, the tiles are required to be CC BY-SA, but
not their merged database*.

cheers,

matt

*: as i understand it, anyway.