[OSM-legal-talk] OS map copyright expiry dates, FOI request

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Sep 15 09:32:54 BST 2009

On 15 Sep 2009, at 00:59, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> TimSC wrote:
>> The next question that occurs is can OS
>> reverse their view or is an FOI binding in some way.
>
> I'd say they can probably always backtrack, but they cannot blame you
> for taking this answer as face value and start using OOC maps. It is
> just five years difference anyway, so if you start using the maps on
> 1st
> January 2011 and they find out in 2012 and ask you to remove your
> stuff,
> you just have to drag the process for a while and you're clear
> again ;-)

Can I suggest that you copy your request/response to the Out of
copyright page in the UK maps section on the wiki so we don't loose
it. Do also provide a reference back the this thread.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Out-of-copyright_maps

It could also be good to register it with WhatDoTheyKnow although I am
not sure how one does that.
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/

I agree with TimSC - it would be very hard for them to argue against
their own advice in court and I think we can safely take their
response at face-value. Good work!

Regards,

Peter